8 Fun Christmas Activities for Kids
Posted on December 17 2019
Christmas is fast approaching, and it's one of the best times of the year to create memories with your family! It's fun to shift the focus from shopping and gifts to spending time together doing fun Christmas activities. And honestly, years from now, kids are more likely to remember the special time you spent together during the holiday season rather than the gifts that were under the tree on Christmas morning. Below are our top 8 fun Christmas activities for kids.
Fun Christmas Activities
1. Christmas Charades are a great activity for kids of all ages! Picture your family sitting around the tree with hot cocoa in hand while Christmas carols play on the stereo. A Girl and a Glue Gun has free printable charade topics as well as load of other fun holiday games for the Christmas season!
2. Bake a Christmas dessert! What kid doesn't love dessert? Let your child pick out a recipe — whether it's a family favorite or a new one — and bake it together for a fun activity and later a delicious snack. Plus you can make extras for easy gift giving in the neighborhood.
3. Read a Christmas book. We have a collection of Christmas books at our house, and my kids (even the teenagers!) love pulling them out every year. Or you can visit the library to try something new! Check out a list of some of the best Christmas books for kids here.
4. Create a DIY Advent Calendar. Our family has an advent calendar that we've used for years, and it's filled with fun Christmas activities for us to enjoy together. It doesn't have to be complicated to be a special tradition your entire family can enjoy. Check out loads of DIY Advent Calendars here.
5. Make DIY gift wrap. Grab a roll of brown paper and some red paint and let your kids go to town. They'll love being creative and you'll walk away with one-of-a-kind wrapping paper. Get creative with rubber stamps, glitter, stickers and more embellishments to make gift wrap extra special!
6. Take a drive to see the lights. This is one of our favorite activities every year, and it's totally doable on a school night! We wear our pj's and pile into the car with blankets and hot cocoa. A long drive to see lights with Christmas music is a peaceful Christmas tradition the entire family will look forward to.
Christmas Activities for Families
7. Donate old toys. Christmas is a great time to clear out the clutter of toys that no longer capture your children's attention. They'll be making room for new ones and helping kids in need at the same time — a wonderful feeling all around! It's important to teach kids to help others, and the Christmas season is a perfect time for that. Check Money Crashers for a list of charities that accept pre-owned toys.
8. Host a cookie swap. Bake cookies with your child, and ask kids' parents to bring a tray of treats. Then let every family mix-and-match until they have a new assortment to take home with them! Keep it super simple with a hot cocoa bar and Christmas tunes and everyone will be feeling merry!
Christmas is such a fun time of the year, and Christmas activities for kids are a great way to get into the holiday spirit. Have another activity you love to share with your family? Share it in the comments!
Jessica lives in Southern California with her husband and three kids, and works in e-commerce at Little Skye Kid's Boutique.